In honour of the upcoming National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short, Cait and Sky have changed the regular Beautiful People link-up to Beautiful Books, where you talk about your proposed NaNo project. Or, if you’re like me and happen to already be doing this teensy little thing called University, and also generally like sleep and sanity (AKA I’m not doing NaNo this year), you can simply talk about whatever your current WIP is.
And so I present to you wonderful readers, Sidekick/Hero, which I have already featured in this Beautiful People post from Eons ago.
- How did you come up with the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
I came up with the idea for my novel a little over a year ago. I don’t remember exactly what sparked it, but I do remember enthusiastically telling my sister about this genius idea I’d had of writing a novel that told the story of a sidekick in one half of the book, and then if you turned it over and flipped it upside down, you could read the hero’s spin on the same plot.
- Why are you excited to write this novel?
I really like my two main characters, Sydney, the naive sidekick, and Hunter, the reluctant hero. The little that I’ve been able to jot down so far has been incredibly fun, as I get to explore why both my characters say and do what they do in depth. Also, Sydney and Hunter bounce off each-other in hilarious ways (at least, they do in my head. Seeing as the rough draft is merrily sitting under 1000 words…).
- What is your novel about, and what is the title?
The title, at least, the working title, is Sidekick / Hero. So one side of the book is titled Sidekick, and the other side is Hero, if that makes any sense. As to what it’s about, to be brutally honest, I haven’t really fleshed out the plot at all yet. I’ve got my characters, part of a setting, some wild plot events, and inklings of a villain, but that’s about it right now.
- Sum up your characters in one word each. (Feel free to add pictures!)
Sydney is brilliant.
- Hunter is self-sacrificial to a fault. (Yes, yes, I know I cheated. That’s more than one word, but Hunter’s a big character, he can handle more than one-word descriptions.)
- Which character(s) do you think will be your favourite to write? Tell us about them!
Thus far my favourite character is Sydney, because he is rather naive and also very smart. He likes plans and routine (both of which aren’t in Hunter’s vocabulary), but also is full of surprises. He’s kind of like an adorable little puppy that likes to invent things and begrudgingly agreed to go save the world with his best friend.
- What is your protagonist’s goal, and what stands in the way?
Sydney just wants his life to go back to normal, with everyone safe and happy. He also would like to not die and to keep Hunter from not dying.
Hunter’s goals are pretty much the same, except he would also like to get revenge on the villain. Dun dun duuuun!
- Where is your novel set? (Show us pictures if you have them!)
My novel is set in a not-too-distant dystopian future of Canada. Because Canada. 🙂
- What is the most important relationship your character has?
My two main character’s relationships with each-other are their most important relationships. Awwww bros!
- How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
Both of my main characters learn to better accept who they are and find the courage to do what they need to in order to accomplish their goals.
It’s starting to sound like they are really the same person, but I swear they aren’t! They change in very different ways, just the overall end result is similar.
- What themes are in your book? How do you want your readers to feel when the story is over?
Friendship, standing up for what is right, courage in the face of adversity… all those good things. XD
Well, my study break is over and it’s time to get back to work. I hope you enjoyed reading about my current WIP!
Are you doing NaNo this year? 😀